I wanted to get this post up on my 33rd birthday, but when your 33rd birthday is three days before Christmas, you should just know better!
So, here it is — a list of the 33 most important things I’ve learned (and so many that I wish I’d learned sooner!) as I enter my 33rd year of life:
- Live with purpose.
- Stand up for yourself, even if you’re afraid of doing it.
- Don’t settle.
- Take more risks.
- Don’t make mountains out of mole hills.
- Don’t let mole hills become mountains.
- Stop trying to figure everything out.
- Have faith.
- Think about the future, but not too much.
- Take time to reflect.
- Learn to relax.
- Make friends with yourself.
- Embrace creativity.
- Stop caring what other people think.
- Be careful with your heart.
- Be careful with your trust.
- Read more.
- Laugh more.
- Laugh at yourself.
- Give yourself some slack.
- Make exercise a part of your daily life.
- Learn to cook.
- Never stop dreaming.
- Never stop learning.
- Never stop loving.
- Get out in nature more.
- Take advantage of travel opportunities.
- Learn about your family.
- Practice self-care often.
- Know your limits.
- Learn when to say “no.”
- Love yourself first.
I think most of these things are pretty basic, but they’re still very personal and have to be learned the hard way. I’m printing this list out and hanging it in my work area as a daily reminder of who I am, how far I’ve come, and how I became who I am today.
33, bring it on. I’m ready for what you’ve got for me! I have big plans to work hard and make it my best year yet!